What does a good complexion look like these days? What defines good skin and a gorgeous face? The American female's standard of beauty seems to be inching towards minimalism (in the makeup department), meaning that women who use yoga for healthy skin could be in luck. A popular Huffington Post article recently addressed this very topic – namely, what it called "natural beauty."
The author, Starre Vartan, noted that the U.S. obsession with body weight and clear skin appears to have hit an all-time high – or low, really – which it compares to "hitting bottom." She argued that it may be time to take advantage of this potential watershed moment to emphasize the beauty of natural skin.
How can you improve your skin without using products? Try yoga for health and healing, of course! Here are five ways to get better skin through yoga:
1. Simply relax. Stress, anxiety and tension can cause acne breakouts, which in turn may lead to – you guessed it – stress and anxiety. Breaking this cycle through yoga may help your face, neck and back clear up on their own.
2. Improve circulation. According to the Times of India, your facial skin's blood vessels are constantly fighting gravity, situated as they are above your heart. By doing some inverted yoga poses, you can increase blood flow to your face, nourishing your skin in seconds.
3. Try face yoga. These simple exercises firm up your face muscles and plump up the skin around them.
4. Breathe deeply. Yahoo!Shine reports that oxygenation is indispensable, since your skin cannot stay healthy without it. Deep breathing exercises are a great way to get more O2 into your bloodstream.
5. Avoid sweating excessively. Though some people push hot yoga for healthy skin, the salt in your sweat can actually dry out your face after a hard workout. Stick to milder yoga regimens.